Stavro's Greek Chicken and Potatoes
- 1 approx 3 pound chicken.
- 4 juicy lemons
- 1 med sized onion, peeled and whole
- 1/2 qt.- chicken stock
- ½ qt. water
- 3 pounds Idaho potatoes, peeled fresh, cut in i inch pieces
- 1 bunch Italian parsley
- ½ bottle Strompolos’ “Authentic” Greek Dressing
- Rinse chicken in cold water inside and out.
- Cut excess fat and hind end away.
- In a shallow baking pan, set chicken with backside down and peeled potatoes around it.
- Squeeze ½ of a lemon over the chicken, then put inside chicken along with the whole onion.
- Put aside 2 lemons to squeeze over the chicken and potatoes before serving.
- Put chicken broth and water in pan, covering potatoes over ½ way.
- Squeeze lemon, then baste dressing evenly over all.
Cook for 2 hours in a 325-degree oven, baste twice during the process, if liquid bakes off, put more in. If you have a temp gauge, check for 150 degrees in the center of chicken thigh, or poke the center of thigh for clear juice. Take out cooked chicken and wrap in foil to keep moist while potatoes brown. Broil potatoes until crispy brown on top. Remove stuffing, then cut chicken in pieces and serve with potatoes on platter with lemon wedges and chopped parsley as garnish. Other suggested garnishes are large olives, feta cheese and quartered tomatoes.